Consent Orders

What are consent orders?

Consent orders are formal orders made by the court with the consent of both parties. The majority of consent orders are made for either property and/or parenting (custody) matters.

How are consent orders made?

Consent orders are created either on an interim or final basis. If there are no court proceedings on foot, you will need to file an Application for Consent Orders together with Minutes of Consent Orders setting out the nature of agreement.

Consent Orders can also be made on an interim and final basis when a family law matter is on foot.

My spouse or former spouse are amicable – what should I do?

Applying for consent orders is often the best way to formalise your family law matter. If you and your spouse are amicable, your matter will not be costly and should take minimal time to finalise your matter.

Can De facto couples apply for Consent Orders?

Absolutely. de facto couples who have been in a relationship for 2 years or more come within the jurisdiction of the family court. There are some exceptions to this rule, particularly if there are children of the de facto relationship.  

What documents will my lawyer need in order to apply for consent orders?

Your lawyer will need all of your financial information which includes details of all bank accounts, property, shares, interests in businesses, superannuation balances, liabilities etc. This information is then supplied to the other party or their legal representative. This process is known as full and frank financial disclosure. 

The other party will also supply their financial information.

For more information on Consent Orders or to secure your free first consultation with one of our solicitors, please call 02 9701 0042 or send us an email to or use our online form.